Picture Books Character Guide
Open your child’s heart all year long…
The new Picture Books Guide gently guides your child to an understanding of 12 different character traits using wonderful classic and modern picture books.
As you explore these books together, your child will see character traits in action, engage through activities and discussion, and remember the stories long after the books are closed.
Plus, as a family, you’ll…
Discover richness beyond the pages
Engage deeply with the stories
Practice character traits in actionable, memorable ways
Define what it means to have each Character Trait
Explore hands-on Story-inspired Projects
Add depth to your family reading time
Great for all ages!
NOTE: This product includes a PDF guide only. The individual books will need to be borrowed from your local library or purchased. The guide includes links to help with this.
What people are saying about our guides…
“First of all, let me just say this guide is INCREDIBLE! It’s a great mix of reading, discussion and hands-on to keep everyone engaged, even across different age groups.” Elizabeth H.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a PDF digital product. Make sure that you enter a valid email address at checkout. You will receive this digital product in PDF format. No physical item will be shipped. The customer is responsible for downloading and printing. An email will be sent with a second link. If you have trouble with the initial download, try using a different browser, or a laptop/desktop. When you download this product you will be subscribed to Learning Through Literature email newsletters. We respect your privacy and will NEVER share your information. You can unsubscribe at any time.
What’s included in the Picture Books Character Guide
Categorized Book Lists: Delight in stories for each character trait with a curated list of picture books to read, practice, and discuss the character trait.
Character Trait Definitions: Includes definitions and action points for each character trait to print and review.
Story-Inspired Activities & Projects: Add a memory peg with fun, story-related activities and projects to enhance your child’s engagement with a story.
Character Trait Practice: Practice the character traits in a simple, meaningful ways. Printables included!
Meaningful Discussion: Connect with your kids as you spark conversation to help them understand character traits.
Engage deeply with memorable stories and learn valuable lessons with the Picture Books Character Guide!
Be sure to follow along on Instagram and email as we highlight books and guide elements each month. (Share your own examples on social media by using #LTLguide #LTLpicturebooks when you post.)
How the Guide Works
The Picture Books Character Guide is a self-paced guide with picture book selections, activities, and discussion questions for each month:
- Read Together
- Categorized booklists
- Character trait definitions
- Explore & Discuss
- Story-inspired activities and projects
- Ways to practice a character trait
- Meaningful discussion prompts
How we choose books for this series
Each book has been thoughtfully chosen based on the following requirements:
- Does the story compel readers to connect with characters and their struggles?
- Does the storytelling allow for meaningful discussions?
- Does the story inspire readers to desire stronger character?
Paypal Notice: When you receive your PayPal receipt it may show you sent a payment to The Seasoned Homemaker which is our parent company. The charge will appear on your credit card statement as “PAYPAL *LESLIERUTLA” with the payment being sent to [email protected]
Please download your product and save it to a computer.
Because technology is unique on different devices, we are unable to provide any technical help at this time.
If you need further help, please see this detailed tutorial on our other site.
Below are some common download instructions that should help you.
- Most mobile devices such as phones and tablets, do not allow downloading through a link.
- All files are sent using PDF format. Most computers have pre-installed Adobe Reader on them; but if your particular laptop, PC, or mobile device does not have a PDF reader, you’ll need one to view the download. Adobe Reader is the most common one and it’s free. You can download it here.
- If you can’t find the file once it’s downloaded, try looking in Downloads under My Computer or search the title of the file on your computer for where it could be hiding.
Some products are sent using a compressed ZIP file. Here’s how to unzip a ZIP file:
- On a laptop or PC- Save the ZIP file to your computer, right-click and select, “Extract All.” This creates a new file on your computer in which you can open. From there you can add the file to iCloud or Dropbox to access the files on your mobile device. Occasionally, browser apps may be glitchy during downloading. If this occurs, please try using a different browser.
- On a mobile device- Before downloading the ZIP file directly to your mobile device, you may need a free app to unzip the product (try FileExplorer Free). This allows you to unzip the folder in order to access the download. Some mobile devices allow you to hold the zipped file icon and then click, “Extract.”