Welcome to Learning Through Literature!
It’s about Learning Through Literature!
We believe in the power of stories.
We believe that well-told stories can have a profound influence on children.
We believe learning something through a great story can create the strongest connection to that knowledge.
What We’re About.
Finding and choosing those great books in a sea of endless options can be overwhelming. We’re here to help you navigate the world of children’s books.
At Learning Through Literature, you’ll discover curated book lists for kids that are categorized so you can find exactly what you need.
You’ll find downloadable guides to help children more deeply engage with stories.
Join the discussion on the blog and see how the power of story can enrich your children’s lives.
Nurture your children’s soul through excellent books.
- Imagine reading aloud to children and engaging with them through the power of excellent stories.
- Imagine a child’s imagination soaring as she acts out a favorite story.
- Imagine how your children’s minds will grow as they encounter something new and challenging through a thoughtfully written book.
- Imagine weaving a love of reading through your whole family by experiencing a powerful story together.
- Envision a community of people who are discovering and cultivating their love of great books and then sharing these experiences!
How We Select Books:
We recommend children’s literature that does one (or, if we’re lucky, all) of the following:
- Focuses as much on the quality of writing as on the quality of story-telling.
- Encourages appropriate and healthy interactions with others.
- Motivates self-learning, i.e., learning from mistakes and making better choices in the future.
- Recognizes human frailty and honors those who fight their own weaknesses to do better.
- Takes on necessary challenges and finds solutions.
- Aspires to a larger sense of improving the world, whether that means helping one person or helping a nation full of people.
- Teaches an important life lesson by establishing a moral or ethical boundary.
- Inspires good language usage and strong vocabulary in readers and listeners.
To learn more, read our post: How to Choose Good Books for Children.
Who are we?
We are a mom and daughter with a passion for great books.
As a former teacher, tutor, and homeschooling mom, Leslie loves connecting kids with books that will help them fall in love with reading.
Katie happily spends much of her day reading aloud to her kids as they learn together at home and discover fabulous books, old and new.
We can’t get enough of excellent children’s literature and are excited to share our best finds with you.
A few things you may want to check out.
- We have a couple of posts that will help you better understand our mission: 50 Great Kids Books Every Home Should Have and Do Age Recommendations Matter for Children’s Books.
- We will soon be adding downloadable book activity guides to our Shop. Be sure to subscribe to receive updates about it!
Ways to Stay in Touch