Inside: The Best Apple Books for Kids + Fun Learning Activities
September brings feelings of a new beginnings and the promise of fall. With the school year starting, we can’t help but think of bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils and that wonderful, seasonal fall fruit: The Apple.
What better way to usher in the season than with some fun apple books and activities?
There are so many options when it comes to apple-themed books, but we have a handful of favorites that offer variety for the topic. Let’s investigate The Best Apple Books for Kids + Fun Learning Activities.
Tall Tales with a Learning Twist
These tall tale books are delightful stories based on real-life events and people. They’re a little history with a side of silly.
- Follow the characters’ travels on a map.
- Compare planting seeds with planting seedlings.
- Find and read of other famous tales that include apples (fairy tales, folk tales, etc).
Books To Make you Hungry
These apple books walk through the process of making apple pie in fun, engaging ways. Each has a slightly different twist, and both are delightful read-alouds.
- Bake an apple pie together (or a different apple dessert).
- Read the original poem that inspired The Apple Pie that Papa Baked.
- Find on a world map the locations mentioned in How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.
Books About How Apples Grow
All of these books give simple but helpful information to learn about how apples grow throughout the year. Investigate the nature science behind the favorite fruit with these options.
This book about nature and the changing seasons focuses on a young boy and a very special apple tree. In Gail Gibbons’s bright illustrations, Arnold collects apple blossoms in spring, builds a tree house in summer, makes apple pie and cider in the fall, and hangs strings of popcorn for the birds in winter, among other seasonal activities.More info →
- Learn about the apple tree’s life cycle.
- Identify the parts of an apple.
- Cut open an apple and count the seeds.
Other Fun Apple Activities
After reading these great apple books, you might be inspired to continue the fun with some of these activities:
- Visit a nearby apple orchard.
- Create an apple-inspired yarn craft.
- Write an acrostic poem from the letters A-P-P-L-E.
- Taste test apple varieties to find favorites.
However you choose to celebrate Fall, be sure to include apples! It’s a great theme for introducing multiple learning topics and fun project ideas with children.
Share some of your family’s favorite apple projects in the comments!
We have a fun guide…
Be sure to check out the Johnny Appleseed Guide in our Shop.
It’s an adventure full of fun, meaningful projects for families who want to center their learning around great stories.