INSIDE: The Best Animal Chapter Books to Begin Reading Aloud to Kids
There is something about an animal character in early chapter books that makes for a smooth transition from picture books like A Visitor for Bear and Sylvester and the Magic Pebble to slightly more complex stories.
The list below of stories with delightful animal characters is a great starting place when you’re wanting to begin reading aloud chapter books, whether or not your child is animal-obsessed.
The options are all sweet, a little silly, and fairly easy to follow.
How We Decide The Best Animal Chapter Books
- It’s great story-telling.
- It should demonstrate healthy interactions with other animal characters.
- The animal characters should learn from their mistakes and make better choices in the future.
- Even though the characters are animals, they demonstrate human frailty and honor those who fight their own weaknesses to do better.
- The animal characters take on necessary challenges and find solutions.
- At least one animal character aspires to a larger sense of improving the world around them.
- A great animal chapter book should teach an important life lesson by establishing a moral or ethical boundary.
- The story uses good language and has strong vocabulary.
The Best Animal Chapter Books to Begin Reading Aloud to Kids
James Herriot’s Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
Technically, there are no talking animal protagonists in this collection of stories from country veterinarian James Herriot, but these short stories are a delight to read aloud. They might even make you want to move to Yorkshire, England.More info →
Stuart Little is no ordinary mouse. Born to a family of humans, he lives in New York City with his parents, his older brother George, and Snowbell the cat. Though he's shy and thoughtful, he's also a true lover of adventure. You'll be rooting for him as he sets out to help a friend.More info →
Chester Cricket accidentally leaves his quiet country life (in a picnic basket) and ends up in busy New York City where he makes unexpected friends and delights others with his unusual musical talent. The charming Garth Williams illustrations make this book even more delightful.More info →
Share Your Favorite Animal Chapter Books
Do you have any recommendations of early chapter books with animal characters? We’d love to hear from you. Leave your best recommendations below in the Comments.
Check Out These Other Posts
Read more here about How to Choose Good Books for Children.
Check out our list of 50 Great Books for Kids That Every Home Should Have
P.S. If you love this post, please share it on Pinterest and Facebook.